Wednesday, 7 June 2017

RIP Onyx

So it wasn't unexpected; he was 18, he had battled and overcome kidney disease, but we are still grieving.
Onyx spent his last night on my bed, which made me thing something was wrong, and I was thinking about the vet in the morning, but he followed me to the toilet at about 3am and said he was hungry.  So I fed him.  He was on my feet at 7am, and I dozed off for a while.
When I got up, I found he had used his litter tray and had taken himself under the coffee table where he was in a coma.  So, cancelled everything for the morning to hold him. Ace was brilliant.  He put his arms around him and cuddled him, and I can't help wondering how many friends he saw die in Cyprus and eased their passing with cuddles. 
We've planted a rose bush on him because he was a bit prickly, but a beautiful boy when you got past his thorns.


I don't have a huge number of photos of Onyx; he really was reclusive and camera shy, but here he is, showing his shiny fur after he had beaten kidney problems
This is Onyx at the weekend, my last picture of him. In retrospect he's starting to look old here.  But he was still soliciting caresses and purring, and eating well.  Was he Biff's litter mate, or did Biff just pick him as a panther for us by making him sound just that once like Biff with his characteristic 'M'rraaak' noise?  who knows. He was Biff's brother in spirit.
So now we are down to one pantherette and the house feels empty again ...

5 comments:

  1. Thank you. What a terrible year this has been ... but at least I can grieve for Onyx in a less angry way, because it was old age ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for helping these babies.

    ReplyDelete